Explore the Stour Valley as part of the Open Doors Sacred Doorways project

Lamarsh, Holy Innocents

The Church of the Holy Innocents at Lamarsh is one of only six round towers in Essex and one of only three known to have been built by the Normans in around 1140. It is also one of only five old churches in the country to be dedicated to the Holy Innocents. In 1797 the round tower was struck by lightening and the north side was damaged, it was restored in 1865 when the typical timber and red tile Essex spire was added.

The church is built using the typical flint and rubble mixture although this has been largely rendered over in order to weather proof and preserve the structure. The brick porch sheltering the door and the door itself are Elizabethan and features a trap door to a tiny room where visiting priests would sleep.

The interior of the church is pleasingly light and simple, at the east end there is a large triple stained glass window by arts and crafts artist Mary Lowndes installed in 1895.

  • The Church of the Holy Innocents at Lamarsh is one of only six round towers in Essex

    The Church of the Holy Innocents at Lamarsh is one of only six round towers in Essex

  • The Elizabethan porch, there is a trap door in the porch roof, it is though that visiting priests crawled up into here to sleep!

    The Elizabethan porch, there is a trap door in the porch roof, it is though that visiting priests crawled up into here to sleep!

  • The inscription over the door was restored in 1996.

    The inscription over the door was restored in 1996.

  • A view from within the church to the churchyard at Lamarsh

    A view from within the church to the churchyard at Lamarsh

  • The interior of the church of the Holy Innocents at Lamarsh

    The interior of the church of the Holy Innocents at Lamarsh

  • Inside the church of the Holy Innocents at Lamarsh

    Inside the church of the Holy Innocents at Lamarsh

  • Stained glass dating from 1895 in memory of Rev. CB Teesdale, his widow and daughter

    Stained glass dating from 1895 in memory of Rev. CB Teesdale, his widow and daughter

  • The distinctive round tower of Lamarsh church viewed from the road

    The distinctive round tower of Lamarsh church viewed from the road

  • Chancel windows on the south side of Lamarsh church

    Chancel windows on the south side of Lamarsh church

  • A porch with a view at Lamarsh church

    A porch with a view at Lamarsh church

The Church of the Holy Innocents at Lamarsh is one of only six round towers in Essex
The Elizabethan porch at Lamarsh church
The inscription over the door at Lamarsh church
A view from within the church to the churchyard at Lamarsh
The interior of the church of the Holy Innocents at Lamarsh
Inside the church of the Holy Innocents at Lamarsh
Stained glass dating from 1895 in memory of Rev. CB Teesdale, his widow and daughter
The distinctive round tower of Lamarsh church viewed from the road
Chancel windows on the south side of Lamarsh church
A porch with a view at Lamarsh church

Visit Lamarsh, Holy Innocents :

Walk

Read More

Middleton to Lamarsh

Middleton to Lamarsh A fairly well signposted, hilly route across varied terrain visiting All Saints Church Middleton, St Mary's Church at Great Henny and the Church of the Holy Innocennts at Lamarsh.

Drive