Belchamp Walter, Church of St Mary the Virgin
The Church of St Mary the Virgin at Belchamp Walter is located near to Belchamp Hall, well known for featuring in the popular early nineties' television series 'Lovejoy.'
The churchyard at the Church of St Mary the Virgin overlooks the valley of the Belchamp Brook, it has been closed for burials since 1920 and some of the tombstones were re-sited in 1964. Interments are now made in the Cemetry adjoining.
Parts of the Chancel at Belchamp Walter church are thought to be from the 10th or 11th century, although most of the current building dates from the 13th and 14th century. There are several unusual murals on the north wall of the church thought to be of 14th century origin which were restored in the 1960s and in 1996 the walls were stabilised and cleaned in order to preserve them.
The tower contains eight bells which were rung for the last time in 1923 after which the timber frame was found to be unsafe, they have now been adapted for chiming.