Explore the Stour Valley as part of the Open Doors Sacred Doorways project

Liston Church

The earliest known reference to the church at Liston is in a charter of 1087, although the earliest recognisable parts of the existing church building date to the early 12th Century.

There is some question as to the dedication of the Church at Liston, a local newspaper from 1893 refers to a wedding ‘in the picturesque little village church of St Catherine's Lyston,’ and one of the church bells is dedicated to St Katherine.

The west tower is considered to be a fine example of 16th century brickwork. The tower consists of three levels: the first is the ringing chamber, the second is the bellchamber containing two bells and the third level is the platform at the top which offers spectacular views over the surrounding countryside.

The only exterior feature indicating the age of the main part of the existing building is a small bricked up doorway on the north side of the church which features an arch and a carved stone lintel.

The south door dates from the 16th century and opens into the aisleless Norman nave. In the 13th century the chancel was widened to the dimensions of the nave. All of the windows in the nave and chancel have been altered over the centuries and the stained glass contain dedications, most are a form of memorial.

The south porch, vestry and Palmer Chapel on the south-east side were all designed by Henry Woodyer and constructed in 1867 of finely coursed knapped flint. Woodyer worked often in Essex and is known to have worked at Castle Hedinghm, Felsted, Stebbing, Twinstead and the west tower at Foxearth. Woodyer also designed the present carved wooden chancel screen, all of the decoration on the east wall, including the carved stone reredos,* the painted figures and geometrical pattern featuring red glass bosses, which look best viewed at night by candlelight.

*A reredos is an altarpiece, or a screen or decoration behind the altar in a church, usually depicting religious iconography or images.

  • Liston Church (dedication unknown)

    Liston Church (dedication unknown)

  • Liston Church is situated at a junction between Long Melford, Borley and Glemsford

    Liston Church is situated at a junction between Long Melford, Borley and Glemsford

  • The side of Liston Church furthest from the road

    The side of Liston Church furthest from the road

  • Liston Church from the churchyard

    Liston Church from the churchyard

  • Carved detail on a bricked up doorway at Liston Church

    Carved detail on a bricked up doorway at Liston Church

  • There are lots of interesting details around the exterior of Liston Church

    There are lots of interesting details around the exterior of Liston Church

  • Carved details on the exterior of Liston Church

    Carved details on the exterior of Liston Church

  • The side of the porch at Liston Church

    The side of the porch at Liston Church

  • The interior of Liston church, Essex

    The interior of Liston church, Essex

  • The sixteenth century south door inside the 19th century porch at Liston church

    The sixteenth century south door inside the 19th century porch at Liston church

  • Carved stone reredos designed by Henry Woodyer at Liston church

    Carved stone reredos designed by Henry Woodyer at Liston church

  • East wall decoration featuring red glass bosses at Liston church

    East wall decoration featuring red glass bosses at Liston church

  • The East window at Liston church

    The East window at Liston church

  • A carved figure in the chancel ceiling, there are four of unknown identity and they date from the 15th century

    A carved figure in the chancel ceiling, there are four of unknown identity and they date from the 15th century

  • The screen between the chancel and the Palmer Chapel at Liston church

    The screen between the chancel and the Palmer Chapel at Liston church

  • The newly restored organ at Liston is Georgian and orginally from Lyston Hall, it is thought to have been a gift from Georg Friedrich Handel

    The newly restored organ at Liston is Georgian and orginally from Lyston Hall, it is thought to have been a gift from Georg Friedrich Handel

  • The very delicate figure on the newly restored Georgian organ at Liston church

    The very delicate figure on the newly restored Georgian organ at Liston church

Liston Church (dedication unknown)
Liston Church is situated at a junction between Long Melford, Borley and Glemsford
The side of Liston Church furthest from the road
Liston Church from the churchyard
Carved detail on a bricked up doorway at Liston Church
There are lots of interesting details around the exterior of Liston Church
Carved details on the exterior of Liston Church
The side of the porch at Liston Church
The interior of Liston church, Essex
The sixteenth century south door inside the 19th century porch at Liston church
Carved stone reredos designed by Henry Woodyer at Liston church
East wall decoration featuring red glass bosses at Liston church
The East window at Liston church
A carved figure in the chancel ceiling, there are four of unknown identity and they date from the 15th century
The screen between the chancel and the Palmer Chapel at Liston church
The newly restored organ at Liston is Georgian and orginally from Lyston Hall
The very delicate figure on the newly restored Georgian organ at Liston church

Visit Liston Church :

Walk

Drive