Bulmer, St Andrew's Church
Bulmer Church, with its impressive flint tower, stands on a prominent site overlooking Bulmer Street, and can be seen from many miles' distance. There is evidence that a church existed here as early as the 12th century, and there are several 13th century features too, but the greater part of the building is in the perpendicular style of the 14th and 15th centuries.
The fine font, with its green man (a pagan fertility symbol adopted into Christian culture) is notable, as is the chancel roof, carved with canopied angels. Much restoration and alteration was carried out in the 19th century, when the south porch, the choir stalls and most of the stained glass in the windows were added.
The memorial tablets in the chancel include one to Mr and Mrs Andrews, the subjects of Gainsborough's famous painting set in the landscape of the Auberies estate. Bulmer Church has been held in plurality with Belchamp Walter since 1765, and the Raymonds of Belchamp Hall have remained the patrons ever since; several members of the family have also served as vicars or curates of Bulmer.